About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
This blog will follow the life of the Sympa Shelties, as best as I can :) We are located in Michigan and breed, train, show, and love our Shetland Sheepdogs. You can find out more about us at : Sympa Shelties.

Friday, January 8, 2010

PUPPIES ANTICIPATION

I was too exhausted to type this all out yesterday, but Wednesday pm thru Thursday am, Kylee was vomiting up her food (no bile), but even small meals would not stay down. With the snow storm we had (coming, at the time) I decided to get her into the vets just to make sure she was alright, before I wouldnt be able to get there with the roads. So, naturally, our wonderful veterinary clinic (Pennsylvania Veterinary Care) worked us in.

Exam-wise, she was normal (has gained 2 pounds since being bred!), but the vet could definately feel "something" in there. We opted for xrays (knowing it was too early to count the number of pups, since their skeletons havent formed yet).

Kylee's uterus was HUGE, even the vet was a bit surprised by it. Both horns of the uterus are expanded, as well. Poor girl has everything pushed up against her rib cage, and is almost bursting at the sides.

Plan of action: very very very small frequent meals, and make sure she is drinking (she was not dehydrated). So, after finally (yup, the storm had moved in!) getting home a little after 6pm, I fed her only 3 teaspoons of canned I/D and a few kibbles sprinkled on top. We repeated this at 830, and again at 1030 and midnight.

I'm awake (darn insomnia!) right now, but the dogs & hubby are zonked. Once they start waking up for the morning, we will resume the feeding every 2-3 hours.

So, I'm just a worry wort and my girl is full to the brim with "something" ;) We will re-xray either end of next weekend or the beginning of the following week to get an actual count, and check sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment